Friday, January 14, 2011

Very, very unexpected

Photobucket


Most of us were quite shocked at our postings, either for the better or worse. Me too.

I used to laugh at the Navy being the most insignificant arm of the SAF. Well who needs naval defense when we already have the Air Force guarding everything else? I could never see the logic behind it. We could have put all those extra money into more planes.

And yeah, all those time overseas and away from home. At least in the army we'll still be in the country. Chances are you'll be overseas when you sail with the Navy. And I'm quite a home person.

I'm definitely not the person for Command School.

Now it is up to me to derive that logic out, because I'm one of the few who got lucky enough to be posted OUTSIDE of the army after BMT. Well its supposed to be quite difficult to get posted out of the army after BMT, but from what I saw, this batch had a higher than average amount heading to Air Force and Navy as NSFs (non-regulars).

No more Standard Obstacle Course, SAR-21 firing, outfield trainings and physically demanding activities. I don't mind doing these, but I certainly don't excel at them.

But I've NEVER thought I'd end up in the Navy. I still dream last night that I'll end up in Recon or Guards. Even rifleman will be better than the former 2 vocations.

I guess God has a plan for everyone, and sometimes things turn out in a way we hardly expect them to. I guess His plan for me is revealed in today's posting.

To use more brains than brawl, and perhaps to go out and see the world for myself. Hey, that's what I've always wanted, to see the world and experience the difference in cultures.

I've checked it out and I'll have a lot of time to myself in Navy school. Again I can use the time to do what I've always wanted, finish the set of books I have at home, and maybe even go for extra workout. Just that this time I can do it at my own pace, and not be rushed like the army.

It'll be a stay in, which means I still get to book out every Friday and go back in every Sunday, but life inside seems to be a lot more relaxed than BMT. We'll spend most of our time studying, something I've been yearning to do for a long, long time.

Good thing I brushed up on my swimming just before enlistment, because we'll get to swim a lot!

I've also read quite positive experiences for those in the Navy, well a good mix of good and bad. But all agree its a lot better than the army.

They say God works in mysterious ways. His plan for me turns out to be very unexpected, but it all fits just nice for me.

I'll be a sailor, and be part of the effort protecting our seas.

I once told someone that we might not always end up where we want to be, but no matter where we end up there'll always be something for us.

I look forward to the days ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment