Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Decisive Crossroad

Photobucket

I guess there comes a time when all of us have to decide what the future holds for us, or how we want to shape our future.

For two decades my parents have sheltered me from the most fundamental of harm. Studying in a relatively inert environment in schools provided a safe harbour from most of the realities from the outside world. Even now in BMT, I feel protected because I don't have many important choices to make. Our commanders take good care of us.

But what does the future hold for me after BMT?

My time to think about my future has come.

I'm talking about financial security. Further education. My life 10 to 20 years from now. Will I be able to support myself, my family and still get married?

I am now a man. Despite repeated assurances from my parents to not worry about family finances, how long can I ignore the fact that I would eventually have to take over, or at least lessen this responsibility from them?

I need to be responsible for myself, my family, and our future.

And now I find myself at a crossroads, where I finally have a chance to take up this banner of responsibility, and do my part as a grown man.

This path seems attractive. It offers me security, the time I need, and the money to solidify my future. It suits my character and intellect.

But it is plagued with uncertainties.

What if it does not suit me? What if the obstacles are too great? What if I feel like giving up? Am I ready for its consequences? What lies after that?

I guess I have reasonably thought out all that was necessary. There will still be uncertainties, but these are what I must accept. For with no risk comes no gain. Even so, even when all goes wrong, the greatest of risks are manageable. It could have been worse, and I have seen worse.

Time to take it up, make bold decisions and march forward.

How about thinking more to make things more certain?

Well BMT has taught me not to think so much. There are times when more you think, the more uncertain things become. So after considering the most vital of questions, it will be best to make a decision and start taking it up, or move on.

So much changes in recent months. I feel really different, and I feel great. It feels like teen-hood rapidly draining out of me. I feel ready and eager to take up the call as an adult now.

I know what I want. I know whether I have what it takes.

I have made my decision, and it is a reasonable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment