
Just one more week to go for my National Service.
I hate to leave.
It is such a meaningful job with a fantastic ship crew.
But there is a higher calling elsewhere.
It has been a wonderful phase of my life.
More lies ahead.
We have one last mission together this week.
One last sailing for me.
One last chance for me to do what I enjoy.
I've missed sailing with the crew.
And I will miss these times all my life.
It is hard to imagine that in less than a month's time I'm going to the States.
Never in my wildest imagination have I thought of going there before I'm 30 years old.
My Aunt received an invitation to go there for an attachment at one of the city hospitals.
She decided to bring her family over.
And to my great surprise I was offered a chance to ride along as well.
I was all starry eyed.
It is the big city of Los Angeles.
A name I only see on the internet or watch on TV.
We'll be going to Hollywood, the original Disneyland, Universal Studios and even the Grand Canyon.
Places I could only dream of.
Now its happening.
And I have 5 weeks to spend there.
This is the land of opportunities.
The paradise that so many from around the world go to and seek their fortune.
What many call the greatest nation in the world.
And now I'm going there to see it for myself.
Truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Most of all, I want to live there for a while.
To get settled in, to see the people there, how they go on with their daily lives.
Their food, supermarkets and local culture.
To see what I can learn, what they can teach me.
And come back saying it is money well spent, an experience well gained.
Perhaps all that I've learnt all these months is preparing me for this.
To be able to better see and experience what there is to come.
School, work and friends.
All in all I am thankful.
Have I not hurt and learn, I would see a lot less in the days to come.
What a great way to wake up into reality.
No comments:
Post a Comment